Mechanical Design Engineer - Global HQ, Eureka MO, USA
The Mechanical Design Engineer is responsible for the mechanical design of new products to meet customer specifications and design modifications of existing products. Job function includes direct interaction with Customers, Sales, Marketing, Technical Support, Manufacturing, Vendors and Management to determine product requirements, and develop technical drawings and specifications in a timely manner to meet tight schedules.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Hands on involvement with all phases of new product development.
- Conceptual design of parts and assemblies using SolidWorks and AutoCAD.
- Development in a timely manner of accurate drawings and specifications for production.
- Supporting various Engineering databases and creating bills of materials.
- Support Product Managers of various product lines in feasibility assessment, design innovation, product enhancement, and cost effective product manufacture activities.
- Serve as feasibility and technical resource to the Sales and Technical Support teams.
- Identify, evaluate, and manage testing and assessment of alternate raw materials, product designs, and processes to improve productivity and reduce product component cost.
- Ability to interact effectively with all levels of the organization.
- Occasional travel is required.
- Assist with all other activities as requested by the Engineering Manager
Knowledge /Skills /Abilites
- Attention to detail is essential with the ability to manage multiple projects concurrently in a fast paced manufacturing environment.
- Ability to apply Engineering principles in practical application with strong analytical skills.
- Advanced knowledge of design practices, machining tolerances, surface finishes, etc.
- Knowledge and experience with strength of materials.
- Demonstrate leadership skills, a high level of motivation, and the ability to work independently with a minimal supervision.
- The ability to create technical drawings and specifications in a clear, accurate and complete form.
- Excellent organizational skills and excellent computer skills.
- Excellent project management skills, ability to effectively communicate verbally and in writing as required, excellent relationship skills, attention to detail and understanding of the big picture.
- Strong written communication skills to effectively communicate concepts, instructions, procedures, and develop proposals.
- Proficient skill level in Microsoft Office, SolidWorks, AutoCAD and/or other design applications.
- Experience in Engineering Product Data Management (PDM) system structure and use.
- Ability to handle multiple tasks and prioritize effectively.
Education / Experience
- Bachelor degree in Mechanical Engineering or similar relevant engineering discipline required
- 1-3 years of experience in product design engineering, preferably in a made to order metals manufacturing environment, preferred
- Knowledge of metal cutting manufacturing processes, metallurgy and heat treatment is a plus.
- Work in conditions typical of a manufacturing environment – noise, dust, odors, etc.
- Able to wear required personal protective equipment – safety shoes, safety glasses, hearing protection, etc.
- Ability to lift up to 35 pounds.
- Ability to stand, sit, and walk for extended periods of time.