Payroll & Accounts Payable Specialist - Global HQ, Eureka MO, USA
Accurately administers the payroll process in accordance with established software, practices and guidelines for U.S. locations, as well as, computes, classifies, verifies and records cash disbursements for use in maintaining accounting records.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Collect, compile and process bi-weekly payroll data using ADP software for multiple sites located in various states for over 700 employees.
- Calculate and post payroll deductions, garnishments, tax levies, etc.
- Ensures compliance with all applicable tax regulations at a federal, state and local level.
- Prepare reports by compiling summaries of earnings, taxes, deductions, leave, disability and nontaxable wages.
- Works with ADP to ensure monthly, quarterly, and annual state and federal payroll reports are properly prepared and payments are made accurately and timely.
- Prepare monthly and annual workers’ compensation reports for insurance company premiums and annual audit.
- Prepare various payroll related files for submission to T. Rowe Price relating to the 401k plan.
- Investigate and resolve payroll discrepancies by collecting and analyzing information.
- Maintain confidentiality of personal/protected employee information.
- Primary contact for the HR staff regarding all payroll related activities.
- Assists Controller and Accounting Manager with audits.
- Demonstrates excellent customer service skills and must be able to handle difficult people at all levels inside and outside of the company.
- Complete year-end payroll activities including balancing and distribution of annual reports and W2’s.
- Coordinates all employee tax-related forms, statements and notices as needed by law.
- Creates and maintains vendor files for the vendor database in the organization’s accounting system.
- Processes approved invoices into accounting system per established procedures, paying within 30 days unless otherwise stated.
- Reviews statements and investigates outstanding invoices.
- Ensures receipts for monthly corporate credit card statements are collected and entered into accounting system in a timely manner.
- Ensures transactions recorded into the accounting system are accurate, consistent, and descriptive.
- Ensures that on-going monthly expenses for the current month have been received before month-end close.
- Prepares payroll allocation general journal entries and reclassification entries as necessary.
- Provides administrative support in all areas of accounting in a cooperative and efficient manner.
- Maintains and prepares 1099’s in a timely manner and submits for supervisor’s review. Mails 1099’s and IRS Form 1096 prior to due dates.
- Works with an outside agent to initiate foreign wire transfers, as required.
- Researches and resolves staff questions and concerns about A/P issues.
- Process monthly accounting reports such as reconciling bank recs
- Maintains Desk Manual for A/P activities.
- Maintains filing system for A/P documents.
- Provides training to new employees on automated A/P system.
- Maintain updated procedures on all functions of the position.
Knowledge /Skills /Abilities
- Ability to work individually or as part of a team
- Time Management Skills, ability to meet deadlines
- Above average technical capacity (Microsoft Office)
- Ethical Conduct
- Dependable in processing payroll within deadlines
- Excellent communication skills (verbal and written)
- Collaborative with all HR personnel
- Attention to detail and accuracy
- Customer Service Orientation
Education / Experience
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- Minimum of 5 years of payroll and accounting experience; OR, Any equivalent combination of experience and/or education from which comparable knowledge, skills and abilities have been achieved.
- Previous experience with ADP payroll processing
- Ability to organize departmental work assignments and multi-task.
- Above average computer skills (Microsoft Office) are necessary.
- Strong knowledge and application of federal/state payroll regulations, internal controls and basic accounting principles.
- Must be a good communicator (written and verbal) and able to speak, read, write and understand the English language.
- Previous experience in manufacturing/production preferred
- Some college level accounting courses preferred
- Ability to sit for extended periods of time
- Ability to sit, climb, balance, stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl
- Ability to lift and/or move up to 25 pounds occasionally
- Personal Protective Equipment is required in production areas and may include, but is not limited to, safety glasses, hearing protection, and closed-toe shoes.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.