Quality and Environmental Manager - Meadows of Dan VA, USA
This position will be responsible for ensuring that the quality and environmental management systems are suitable to the needs of the business, as well as directing and coordinating operational activities within the department, including staffing, quality, production standards, and cost management.
Duties & Responsibilities
Quality and Environmental
- Implement where necessary, support and monitor the effectiveness of the company’s internal policies and plans in relation to quality and environmental.
- Ensure quality & environmental objectives are in line with business goals and objectives.
- Help design and implement quality and environmental training programs.
- Ensure significant issues or concerns are related to the management team and actions are cascaded through the company.
- Conduct audits and analyze findings. Ability to prepare comprehensive reports and represent ideas clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing.
- Support a culture of continuous improvement.
- Ensure consistent quality & environmental standards are applied and met across all shifts.
- Review existing ISO9001 management system and ensure it meets the requirements of the business whilst ensuring quality is always at the forefront of the business.
- Uphold and interpret quality philosophy to all personnel within the company.
- Monitor, maintain and improve where applicable product quality.
- Prepare work instructions and product information sheets and ensure these are updated as and when required to include corrective actions.
- Initiate and develop standards and methods for inspection, testing and evaluation.
- Control of gauge calibration and use within the manufacturing environment.
- Involvement in problem solving activities.
- Review existing ISO 14001 management system and ensure it meets the requirements of the business.
- Ensure all current procedures and practices are sufficiently robust to prevent environmental issues arising e.g. spillages, damage to water courses.
- Ensure there are sufficient controls regarding waste.
- Ensure that the reduce, reuse, recycle philosophy is paramount throughout the company.
- Where possible introduce waste reduction/removal or the sourcing of lower energy products e.g. lighting.
- Maintain Substance Data Sheets & records (COSHH) and instruct colleagues accordingly regarding handling storage etc.
- Ensures department staff is trained, scheduled, utilized, and accountable to daily production, performance, and quality standards.
- Ensures attainment of production schedules with products that meet or exceed customer expectations.
- Initiates plans and processes which minimize manufacturing costs through effective utilization of labor, equipment, materials, capital, and processes.
- Ensures safe working environment within the department and facility, and ensures employees follow prescribed safe work practices.
- Ensures equipment is in optimal working and safe condition. Coordinates required maintenance and repairs. Ensures housekeeping is to standards.
- Identifies and justifies capital investments to meet product requirements and/or provide cost savings opportunities.
- Coordinates resources and schedules with other operating departments.
- Provides technical manufacturing insight and support into product and process capability, design, and improvement activities.
Knowledge /Skills /Abilites
- Self-discipline and absolute awareness at all times of the manufacturing and delivery demands of clients and the required quality of company products.
- The ability to improve processes where possible.
- Initiate involvement in team activities where appropriate.
- Must have excellent interpersonal and presentation skills, be detail-oriented and have the ability to manage time effectively and work autonomously as well as collaboratively in a team environment.
- Offer guidance and support to ensure we achieve what is necessary to satisfy customer and business needs.
- Ability to assimilate and retain quickly a variety of information concerning company organization, policy and products.
- Proficient skill level in Microsoft Office products.
- Ability to handle multiple tasks and prioritize effectively.
- Ability to exercise discretion and maintain confidentiality.
Education / Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree with three (3) years of experience or High School Diploma with eight (8) years’ experience preferred.
- 5 years’ experience in manufacturing supervision or management, preferably in metals machining and manufacturing
- Work in conditions typical of a manufacturing environment – noise, dust, odors
- Able to wear prescribed personal protective equipment – safety shoes, safety glasses, hearing protection, etc.
- Ability to lift up to 35 pounds.
- Ability to stand, sit, and walk for extended periods of time